Sunday 30 January 2022

Soviet Naval Brigade and more big boxes from John!

I seem to be settling into regular Sunday updates on painting progress. I have been busy working through these 73 Soviet Naval troops in 20mm scale for Alister and they are just about finished now. I spent a fair bit of time looking at images of these uniforms as they seem to range from black to blue. I went somewhere in between as black uniforms are too flat in this scale so a mix of Vallejo Black Grey and Dark Prussian Blue was used with some subtle highlights to  lift them as far as possible without going too blue. Some of the command figures got the lighter blue jacket often depicted and there are also a few wearing greatcoats for a touch of variety. The overall look is I think quite realistic, the touches of white also help left them a bit. They will be heading home to Brighton this week. Note: photos taken just before matt varnishing as they will be put aside to dry before packing.

















Next up are the two units of ECW foot for Graham, 15mm Peter Pig figures of course, that's for this week after which I will return to some painting for Old John from whom I received two extremely big boxes on Tuesday as you can see! I will be opening them for a look through later today now that the Soviets are finished. 

I did also manage another base of 72 Russian Crimean infantry this week, so that's 7 towards my planned total of 10 per side, I'll do another (7th) British base this coming week to keep things even. My thoughts are very much on terrain now. 



6 comments:

  1. I think the colour looks spot on. German Grey and Prussian Blue are amongst the most versatile of Vallejo paints, essential to every painters arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. When you look through a selection of online images of these troops you see so much variation from black to blue so I went for something in the middle and think it worked OK. I had considered a final highlight with more blue but it just looked too bright so stuck with what you see.

      Delete
  2. Difficult matching colours when there’s variations in the reference material. Sometimes the more you research the more confusing it gets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much variation featured in the images. Many looked far too blue to be accurate but I could see how how the highlights lifted the overall effect. I went for more historical realism. Cheers JBM.

      Delete
  3. Those So keg naval troops look spot on the owner I’m sure will be very pleased. Looks like John has plenty to keep you going for some time! I like to keep drip feeding you just in case I change my mind mid project, 😆 keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham, got the first of the pigs ready to prep up today, get the primer coat on. The thing with the PP's is that you hardly ever get any flash to trim away, they are so crisp and clean, more so than the soviet 20mm's I have just finished even. As always I appreciate what you send me to paint as I enjoy doing the Pigs :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.