Friday 14 January 2022

20mm Russians & more rebasing!

End of another weeks painting and I have completed another of John's boxes. These 60 Russian Streltsy infantry will be heading home to Wales on Monday along with the dismounted Dragoons featured in last weeks post. Mostly by Strelets including some bonus figures and some Zvedza figures, all 1/72nd scale plastic John supplied lots of printed colour refences and requested units in Red, Green, Grey and Yellow tunics. Photos taken before my final check through and before the usual satin varnish. I think they will look very impressive on the table top and will be joining the Streltsy I painted previously. John tells me the next box is being sorted out to follow up! 

Next week I'll be painting 2 more WSS cavalry regiments for Tony, more lovely Les Higgins figures. I also have another 40 odd Russian Naval infantry (20mm WW2) on the way from Alister and a couple more 15mm ECW foot regiments from Graham so should all keep me busy.











Now I have to confess that having rebased all of the 6mm Crimean War figures (so far), that when I sat back and really looked at them I decided that the 3 deep basing style did not work for me! Ok, so a bit of time wasted but I really want to get this right and so off they all came again. To avoid the sticky mess caused by soaking I simply sliced into the MDF leaving just a thin layer which could then be easily bent to pop the strips off. This weekend I'm going to focus on getting them sorted onto the new bases. I have given this a lot of thought and decided to go for Brigade sized bases represented by 72 infantry and 24 cavalry to give a more massed affect, something that works well in this scale I think. I also really like the simple green colour which at the moment is grit and static grass texture free aside from the tile grouting which gives only a slight texture effect, I may well keep this as it sits very well on the green cloth. Below is what I have done so far, the bases are 2mm MDF (from Warbases) and 65mm x 45mm in size, so they sit comfortably in my 75mm square grid with space for a bit of terrain around them. I have to say I much prefer them like this so will keep going over the weekend. At the moment I have enough painted figures for 6 infantry brigades, 3 cavalry and 2 artillery per side, but I plan to keep building these up as ideally I'd like 10 infantry bases (720 figures) and 5 cavalry bases (120 figures) per side plus guns etc which could look quite impressive.




12 comments:

  1. An amazingly colourful army, John will be pleased. As for rebasing, as much of a pain that it is, it is a quick road to satisfaction, it always feels at the end of the day that a goodly number of units are refreshed without a paint brush being lifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm...I have already started to add some grit and static grass tonight!

      Delete
    2. I like the new basing scheme - personally I think textureing bases for 6mil, or smaller, figures is conter-productive as the bases start to overwhelm eth figures.
      BTW nice Strelsy - Russians have such a distinctive look, at least until Peter gets them to ape the rest of Europe.

      Delete
  2. All looking wonderful matey. I have to wonder how many figures you’ve painted now you’ve gone semi pro? Then again probably best not to dwell on that, it’d scare me half to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM. 'Semi pro' I like that :) It's a very modest affair to be honest, my target is £500 worth of painting per month and I have hit that for 6 months now, it's not overtaxing, allows me a few little extras and I don't have to go out in the cold! Above all it's the focus and discipline that is really good for my mental health, oh and I get to watch/listen to a lot telly/music at the same time, suits me.

      Delete
  3. I like the new basing scheme - personally I think textureing bases for 6mil, or smaller, figures is conter-productive as the bases start to overwhelm eth figures.
    BTW nice Strelsy - Russians have such a distinctive look, at least until Peter gets them to ape the rest of Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rob, I'm still not sure I can live without some grit and grass though! That said I'm very happy with the larger bases, especially when I line up several of them on my 75mm grid, gives just the impression I was after.

      Delete
    2. You can't say that without giving us some pictures of them on the grid.

      Delete
    3. I will have the bases finished by Monday and will get some shots on the folding card table :)

      Delete
  4. A wargame unit isn’t a proper unit until it has been rebased at least once! Flocking and detailing at this scale is difficult to do satisfactorily and personally I prefer the plain textured base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian and you are right about rebasing :) At least I have found a way to do it without all of that wet sticky mess!

      Delete
  5. Those Streletsi figures are great fun to paint aren't they? My you have them looking wonderful too!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.