Sunday 23 January 2022

French cavalry for Tony and current state of the 6mm Crimean War collection.

 Had quite a busy week on the domestic front but managed to paint two more WSS cavalry regiments for Tony and finish off more 6mm basing, and also added another couple of French infantry battalions so not bad overall.

These two cavalry regiments represent the French units of Du Roi and Tarnault. Du Roi wear blue coats and as a 'Royal' regiment the trumpeter wears the Royal Livery. Tarnault wear off white  coats with the trumpeter in the Colonels livery decorated with white lace. They are of course Les Higgins castings with an Irregular officer and standard bearer, 20mm scale. You see them her awaiting their coat of glossy varnish as requested as I just need to do a final check over for things such as officers cuff details etc. Horses are a mix of dark browns again as requested with a few lighter highlights here and there.







Edited to add a few 'shiny shots' - officers cuff edges have had silver lace adding!









The 6mm Crimean war figures are coming on a treat now and I'm finally happy with the basing method! I'm regarding each base as a brigade now, represented by 72 infantry or 24 cavalry which gives a very pleasing mass effect. I still have a  couple of cavalry bases to do but otherwise all done now. I have a stock of Russian and British line infantry in the drawer but I'm just taking my time and of course prioritising the commission work. I'm finding the combination most enjoyable.















Looking ahead I have some lovely 20mm WW2 Soviet naval troops to paint for Alister. Around 75 figures with mixed equipment and poses, rifles, MG's, anti tank teams and mortar teams. They are wonderful little sculpts with lots of facial detail, from Grubby Tanks (link). I also have another 2 regiments of foot for Graham (56 Peter Pig figures) so will working them all together over the next 2 weeks. John also has another large box of figures on the way to me this week so February will be nice and busy!




7 comments:

  1. Lee, the Crimea Project basing is coming on a treat. from a hobby groove point of view, it looks like you have found a good balance between commission work and moving your own things forwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Norm, I'm finally happy with the 6mm basing, I think it makes sense to use larger units in this scale, they are more like Grand manner size battalions just in a much smaller scale! I get the most pleasure from finishing commission units, I always ask myself if I would be happy to have them sitting on my own display shelf and if the answer is yes then they are good to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see they’re keeping you busy mate. There can’t be many unpainted miniatures left in the country the rate you’ve been working through them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM. I'm enjoying myself at the moment so long as that continues I'll keep painting!

      Delete
  4. Great work with the WSS cavalry and the Crimea project is coming on apace - you are being impressively productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian. Always fancied doing the Crimean war and this is really hitting the mark for me :)

      Delete
  5. Your basing (and of course painting) brings out the massed effect of 6 mm perfectly.
    Wonderful work on those cavalry too—lucky Tony!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.