On a much more positive note I had a flash of inspiration the other day when it was mentioned that it was the 50th Anniversary of the release of the film Zulu. This is something I have had in the back of my mind for years - I still watch the film every year during the festive season when it is shown on TV and it never fails to move me. But what really made me think again was seeing the new 'Zulu variant' scenarios on the Battle Cry website only a few days ago. I could hardly believe that somebody has produced a 'Commands & Colors' style game for this period. So I set to working out how I could do this as a 'side project' and how many figures/bases I would require. Here is the scenario for Rorkes Drift (linked via the BattleCry website):
Here are the scenario notes, again from the BC.net site, I like the idea of the British having to survive 3 wave attacks to win.
British Troops: Lt. Chard; Lt. Bromhead
6 Command cards
Zulus: Dabulamanzi kaMpande
6 Command cards
- British: At least 1 Unit (not LDR) must survive 3 attack waves of Zulus
- Zulus must destroy all British within 3 attack waves
- Cross sabers hits only in melee
- Zulu Warriors: Move 0-1 hex and battle 3-2 dice OR
move 2 hex without battle
- Rorke´s Drift buildings are treated like Homestead
- Redoubt: Are treated like fieldworks
- Remove the CallForReinforcement, Short Supply
and ConstructFieldworks card, they are not used in this scenario.
- Retreats: The British can choose, to retreat up or down.
The Zulus on the top half battlemap retreats to top, the Zulus
on the bottom half retreats to bottom.
Zulus on the middle hex row (row with the british marker)
can decide, in which direction they retreat.
- Zulu Attack Waves: The Zulus starts each attack wave with
full strength units (a killed Zulu LDR will not replaced),
in the same hexes like on the first setup.
If they loose 4 units (not LDR´s), the wave retreat immediately
and the next wave is setup.
- British Reorganisation: The British can reorganisate there units
within Rorke´s Drift to any hex, before the Zulu player start his
next attack wave.
- British Recovery: Before the Zulu player start his next attack wave,
each British unit with lost figures, which is on a Hospital hex
(or is moved during British Reorganisation to a Hospital hex),
can roll 4 dice to recover units. For each INF symbol is rolled,
this unit recover 1 figure.
|Essex Miniatures Zulus - one of many codes available.|
I painted the additional cavalry 8 figures required to make the cuirassiers and carabiniers into two separate units and I need to do the same for the Dragoons (currently line and Empress together) this will make 8 units of French cavalry. Finally the Guard lancers need command adding and those forward thrusting lances moved to an upright position.
Note the altered head and sword positions on the below cavalry, just adds a bit more variation to the overall look I think. All 15mm Essex Miniatures of course.