Thursday 24 October 2024

Into the Desert - week 1.

 Here are a few shots of the first weeks painting on the new Mahdist War project. I'm enjoying myself and the desert bases make a nice change. I think that I have settled on this style after a couple of attempts, simple Vallejo Earth texture used slightly thinned with water then painted a sandy highlight colour and then any figure base edges disguised where required with fine stones along with the odd desert tuft! 

References for the Camel Crops jackets seem to show shades from Blue to Grey so I went with a light Blue/Grey shade, I think this works well. I painted the first Mahdist base yesterday after giving them a bit of thought on how best to approach it having studied lots of references. Initially they were far too white so I knocked it back with a thin wash of Sepia Ink which shaded them nicely, I then came back picking out highlights with off white before  satin varnish. I'm happy with them now so that Dervish base number one done with another undercoated for today. I have figures enough for 4 more Dervish bases plus 3 'Fuzzy Wuzzy' bases and more British infantry including a base of Naval troops. Cavalry and artillery will be on order next week.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.