Monday 26 August 2024

More terrain plus 20mm's for Old John!

 It's always a pleasure to be painting vintage castings for John as well as modern high quality plastic sets. This week has seen me paint through  mostly Les Higgins figures - Papal States infantry and cavalry - as well as several individual mounted drummers and three superbly detailed plastic cavalry. The reference sheets are always provided which really helps me. 

I have four more Papal Cavalry to paint this morning before I give all the horses a highlight followed by a satin varnish. I then have 3 Estonian cavalry and 3 30 Years War cavalry to complete this current batch.












In addition I'm continuing to make more 15mm scale terrain for the card table AWI. One tip on the magnetic road/rivers is to texture the black magnetic side as I find it adheres better. One dry it's nice and flat but still flexible and the vallejo texture does not crack when you bend it. Rivers coming soon along with more windy road sections! 

Also made some hills from contoured foamboard covered with fleece mat same as the table. I'm not a fan of freestanding round hills, especially for this small table so prefer hills to flow on from the edges or corners, Quick and simple to make using 5mm foamboard and the gentle slopes mean bases can stand on them while the 'summit' is clearly defined. 











2 comments:

  1. Plenty of progress there Lee. I guess the thing you might need most for 18th century North America is trees 🌲🌳🌲🏑🌳 Chers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff. So far I have 50 0f these little fir trees on the go!
      Cheers,
      Lee

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.