Thursday 9 March 2023

Catching up!

 I'm really grateful for all of the comments on the last two posts and I'm gradually replying to each of them so I'll catch up!  I tend to mostly do computer stuff in the mornings with my coffee and then try to keep focused once I start painting when I listen to lots of YouTube videos as I paint - taking out YouTube 'Premium' ad free was the best thing I have done for a while, the ads were annoying the hell out of me when trying to paint! I play a wide range of  videos from historical, Thames mud larking, painting tutorials, DBA battles, true crime the list is endless but I need something in the background when painting I find. Another thing I'm doing is to revisit some old Vinyl albums via YouTube. It struck me recently that I have lost the pleasure of putting an album on and playing it through from start to finish as it was intended to be enjoyed complete  with crackling as it begins. I have spent years playing odd tracks and I'm really enjoying this. I'm very much a 70's hard rock man who got drawn into the whole Punk movement before going back to heavy rock again and then into the 80's. I'm finding some true gems again, James Gang 'Bang' a real blast from the 70's and the wonderful T.Rex * 'Slider' album that bought back so many memories, how could you not love a track like Baby Boomerang :)

Anyway I digress, here are more 3mm Hoplites, there will be 8 elements of these which should look quite solid when complete. 



* Nostalgia corner! 
Quick funny story re Marc Bolan - my late Uncle Ted and my Dad knew his father from drinking in a pub in Putney South London  where his father lived in a council flat. When he became wealthy he bought his Dad a Rolls Royce which made quite an impression on the sprawling estate of high rise flats!

12 comments:

  1. Lee, I re-introduced myself to vinyl in recent years and it is exactly the pleasure of putting a record on and listening to it right through to end and in one go. It is the thing I do after the evening meal and just take 30 minutes out to switch off and browse a mag or some rules etc. Any other media and I am a nightmare with the fast forward button …. and missing so much in the process.

    I thought I would be buying back into the catalogue of my youth, but while there has been some of that, I have also enjoyed being introduced to new artists.

    You get a surprising amount of colour contrast out of the 3mm - looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night it was Deep Purples Fireball album, first time straight through for probably decades, really enjoyed it :) I'm hoping the postman will deliver my 3mm ECW figures today, can't wait to see what a regiment will look like, 24 figures wide x 4 strips deep and command in front, should look impressive!

      Delete
  2. Sadly I got rid of my record player [how quaint is that] but kept my LP's. Being a teenager in the 1970's my taste was very eclectic, from Sweet to Captain Beefhart.Last year I was lucky enough to see Geordie, what a cracking experience, very heavy and powerful unlike their singles. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain Beefhart, now there's a blast from the past :) And I remember Geordie.

      Delete
  3. The hoplites are looking great Lee. Who will they be fighting against? Assorted other Greeks? Persians? Who?
    I am rather fond of the Early Achaemenid Persians - but, for the spectacle, they really need to outnumber the Greeks by a country mile. Chief EAP plan needs to be to shower the Greeks with a hail of arrows, threaten their flanks with cavalry and do NOT let them get into close combat. Chief Greek plan = get into close combat quickly (and avoid too many casualties from the enemy archers).
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3mm range from MM is a bit limited but growing so no late Persians yet. I might switch to ECW's and finish the Greeks later as I need another couple of bags of them.

      Should get your figures this month Geoff, will check the references before I get started.

      Cheers,

      Lee.

      Delete
  4. Great looking Greeks Lee. I've a massive vinyl collection up in my loft. They were placed there in 1994 when I lost my record room to my newly born daughter no2. No1 and no2 bought me a record player at Xmas, so I too need to get my old stuff out and hear that crackle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of those hoplites. 3mm is a scale I've never tackled and not sure my eyes would cope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3mm is an interesting scale to tackle, I approach them like I would 2mm blocks but you get to add that touch more detail to shields etc.

      Delete
    2. still have complete collection of Buddy Holly LPs, plus Dubliners ones (spent a night drinking with them can't recall details!!) even got a 45rpm of Lonnie Donegan's Battle of New Orleans, shows how old i am!! think later this month release of Epic's ECW set, love your 3mm painting but i'll stick to 20mm so can see what i'm doing, look after yourself, cheers Old John

      Delete
  6. Hi Lee, these little figures look great and seem to be a good scale for DBA as they give a good sense on mass.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.