Saturday 3 March 2018

Establishing desert tones and collectables.

I glued up the first section of 10 infantry from the Perry 'Desert Rat' set, they were far quicker and easier to put together than the Napoleonics I did a few years back, possibly because I have had a lot of practice with plastic multi part figures, but also there are a hell of a lot less separate parts to these latter figures. I then set about deciding how to approach painting them. After some thought I decided to stick with my trusty black base coat and to work with a fairly dry brush to build up the colours. I started with Vallejo British Uniform, highlighted with uniform + Off White. Still not happy with the resultant shade I went back to Flat Earth with about 20% added Off White and this produced a better shade to highlight with, again still keeping the brush fairly dry, not loaded with paint. At this point I felt I was close to the tones as illustrated on the box artwork, if a little patchy here and there. For the flesh I went a shade darker than usual Vallejo Beige Brown as the base and Sunny Flesh Tone as the highlight. At this stage I still did not feel happy 100%, the flesh needed a more suntanned look.  Vallejo Sepia Wash was brushed over the flesh - not forgetting the knees - and this produced a look that I was happy with. I also brushed a watered down wash of the same over equipment and uniform folds etc. They need varnishing, but on the whole I think they give a reasonable representation of the Desert Rats uniforms.

They will be based for Bolt Action with sand bases and represent a British Infantry Section consisting of a Sergeant with machine gun, 8 riflemen, one of whom supports the Bren Gunner with extra ammunition and the Bren Gunner himself. The Perry box contains 3 such sections together with mortar and anti tank rifle support weapons plus command figures/radio operator to complete a Platoon, as such it's very well thought out. Additional metal figures are available from Perry of course, including a fine Vickers medium machine gun section.







Bits and Bobs and a question.
With completion date set for 26th March we have been going through lots of old boxes from the garage and loft and found a few interesting things including my late Father in Laws small collection of pen/fruit knives, lots of old gold and silver jewellery, a Box Brownie camera and other things. Most of this has been sat in boxes since we moved into this house 14 years ago and it's been fun rediscovering these oddities.

A bit of research tells me that some of the fruit knives have quite an age, my favourite by far is this lovely little one with elegantly engraved mother of pearl handle and hallmarked silver ends and blade, the hallmark would appear to be for 1888 which I find remarkable, I'm keeping this one for myself! What I am most curious about is the object shown below, again it's hallmarked silver with a steel inset that opens and closes and appears to be designed as some kind of cutter? Too small for a cigar cutter, I would really be interested to know what it is? If any fellow bloggers have any ideas on the matter please share them with me.

Victorian Fruit Knife - Mother of Pearl with hallmarked silver blade and end caps


The mystery object - hallmarked silver body with steel moving insert section.




Any ideas.


Some of the collection - at left is a 1943 Farthing with a fold out blade.



8 comments:

  1. Interesting collection - very nice. I'm sorry, this is hardly thinking outside the box, but the little device isn't a cigarette cutter, is it? I know that cigarette smoking became popular after the boys in the Crimea picked up the habit from their Turkish allies, but proper commercially manufactured cigarettes didn't appear in Britain until a few years afterwards (machinery invented by a Crimean War veteran, in fact!).

    There must have been a few years when people rolled their own, and maybe this is a cutter/trimmer? Is there a date in the hallmark which might give a clue?

    [Yes, all right, bollocks - sorry]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cigar cutter?
    Nicely painted figures also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would seem that it is indeed a cigar cutter.

      Delete
  3. Cheers Tony, that was our first thought, but it seems very over engineered for such a purpose? I'll bung a roll up in it and see what it does. Will get Hallmark checked out of curiosity when my son in law is next round. I'm not sure what to do the knives, would not look great at French and Spanish Customs! The MoP/silver fruit knife is something I'd like to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely no idea. But it certainly looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cigar cutter, I agree with other comments here.

      Delete
  5. Nice Desert Rats! Can't wait to see what you do with Caunter scheme. :o))

    I think it is a cigar cutter.. at that size probably for cheroot/panatella size cigars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, and yes I'm sure you are right, a cutter for the smaller cigars.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.