Saturday 9 September 2023

DBA Rome v Gaul - time for a bash!

With the exceptionally hot weather I'm having a few days break from painting, I have a few other things to sort out. Yesterday morning on impulse I unpacked the folding board from it's bag, laid out a few terrain bits and having rolled for board edge and attacker defender deployed some soldiers. Rome v Gaul was the choice - both these armies having expanded somewhat beyond 12 elements per side just because you get so many per bag - and with the Gauls choosing to defend and deploy first the Romans deployed in their traditional 3 line battle formation with the Velites in this case protecting the flanks. I had a fun couple of hours that resulted in a Roman victory although I have to say I was surprised just how tough the warbands proved to be when fighting 'blades'. The initial light chariot charge was easily beaten with all three elements forced to 'flee' 600 paces which effectively put them out of the fight. One shock was that Roman 'blades' when beaten by half or more on the dice off are immediately destroyed as I learned when 3 elements of legionaries were lost in a single turn as the Gauls rolled up the front line! As a result the second line - the Princepes - were bought up to extend the ranks and the tide than slowly began to turn as the combats started with a useful flank overlap in favour of the Romans. The trusty spear armed  veteran heavy infantry of the third line - the Triarii - advanced menacingly in support ready to fill any gaps but were not needed and did not see action. On the Roman right, which was protected by cavalry including the General, the warbands were kept at bay although I was wary of committing the Generals element to combat preferring to use as a flank support. I called it at 5 elements lost by the barbarians but probably could have continued a bit longer.

All in all an enjoyable experience as one who has struggled with enthusiasm for the gaming side of the hobby for some time and no doubt I will play more using some of t he numerous DBA armies that I now have, probably  sticking with the basic 12 elements per side. But it's clear that this compact 30 x 20 board can produce an exciting and enjoyable game  and will offer me lots more going forward especially as I become ore familiar with the nuances of the rules.

I have now just started army number eight, classical Indian, with a test paint of some war elephants, huge in 3mm scale :)











The army of King Porus begins!


14 comments:

  1. DBA got me back into ancients; I'd given up on WRG 6th edition and hated 7th edition when invited to play in games. A chance find at a show when just released, couldn't believe a WRG set of rules with only two pages of rules!
    Sadly, since 1st edition, it's gone the way of all WRG rules used in competitions with more and more complexity as people pour over the written word to allow them to do things not intended in order to give a winning advantage.
    Used for friendly games between two adults, who can settle disagreements by the use of common sense to mutually agree, are a nice simple set.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil, my earliest experience of WRG Ancients was watching games played on the snooker table at SELWG evenings back in the Seventies! Later editions just became so complex and slow so DBA was a real breath of fresh air! When I watch v3 games on youtube I barely recognise them as DBA so for me it's v1 and I'm happy.
      Cheers
      Lee

      Delete
  2. Good to see that you have settled into a system / scale that hits a sweet spot for you. My painting is done under glass …. Which is like a hot house at the moment, so like your good self, the paint brushes have been put away for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, the folding board has certainly proven popular and I'm very pleased with it.

      Phew, a couple of weeks or so time and we will all be saying it's cold :)

      Delete
  3. Clearly an excellent day to spend a day away from painting.
    Well done - it certainly looks like a battle seen from afar. ⚔️⚔️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff and I'll be back with your figures in a few days time :)

      Lee

      Delete
  4. A good idea to take a break in this weather - my painting os pretty slow anyway but this heat has brought it to a near stop. That was a pretty good game, can't wait to see your Macedonian army out on the board - I thought the wood was particularly effective.
    I have played some DBA recently, and although I tend to play DBM (not DBMM) with friends we found we didn't miss the extra detail. I expect different match ups might find DBA more limited. In fact I enjoyed DBA so much I bought v1.1 (I don't like the changes introcduced in v3).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, I must say I enjoyed myself. Future games I'll stick with 12 elements per side but it was fun seeing the mass of barbarians in particular. Going to work on more terrain, not keen on the roads as need to be narrower and more winding I think, looking for suitable material. Making river from magnetic sheet as it does not warp when painted /textured, might use same for roads possibly. Woods of course are clump foliage soaked in PVA on thin plastic sheet, took 4 days to dry out! I want more terrain pieces that sit flush with the edges of the board, woods and hills. All good fun anyway.

      I'll stick with v1 although I am using v2 army lists as more extensive.

      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. Good to see a game being played just for the fun of it. Very nice set up you’ve got there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you having a wargame again. Very impressed with the overall look of the game, both figures and scenery.
    regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Paul, I am enjoying this little project a lot :)
      Lee.

      Delete
  7. Really nice to see you enjoy a game. I have to admit I play DBA3 and Big Battle at that but whatever the size they give a good game. ( I just wouldn’t consider ever doing a tournament having read some articles on the interpretations that take place!) It all looks good and having a variety of armies will make sure you don’t get bored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham. I have watched a lot of DBA3 game videos and while the games do look good and the players certainly seem to be enjoying it I just prefer the simplicity of the original game.
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.