Sunday 12 February 2023

Lots of mini Elephants!

It's OK, I'm not really losing the plot just finishing off my 3mm Carthaginian army for DBA with two elements of tiny beasts. Much as I love 15mm elephants a single beastie never quite cuts it in the same way as a herd of the things does it? So 20 models rampaging towards the Roman lines who can only throw out a screen of Velites to chuck javelins at them (Psiloi can't be killed by Elephants in DBA!). 

In DBA terms this army comprises:  3 bases of heavy infantry (Sp), 3 bases of fast warband Guals - Wb), 1 base of auxiliaries (Ax), 1 base of skirmishers (psiloi, probably Spanish slingers - Ps.), a base of Light horse (LH) a base of cavalry with general  (Cav/Gen) and the two bases of elephants (El.).

What I like is that when you take a step back it does look more like a massed army than 15mm or 28mm figure ever can when playing DBA? I'm now working on the Polybian Roman opponents, very much a blade based army with some spears. That said I do still like the 15mm versions too and so I'm just about to start both Roman and Carthaginian armies in this scale too, simply because I love painting them!

Before I moved on I knew I had to do something about the 16 Hoplite mercenaries for the 15mm Late Persians because the bendy spears and awkward position made it really hard to rank them up properly and it was getting on my nerves. I bit the bullet and removed the spears before bending the arms down and forward, twisting the hands carefully with pliers in order to hold the replacement spears upright. A  tricky job but luckily no breakages and just some paint lost on the arms that was easily touched up. The replacement spears are from Arcane Scenery 50mm cut down to 35mm and complete with nicely shaped spear head. I just need to paint them now carefully and the result is I am so much happier with them. I will no doubt do a complete Hoplite army in the future as I'm enjoying doing ancients.

15mm figures by Essex Miniatures and 3mm figures by Magister Militum.







Well, I know the African Elephant was smaller than the Indian Elephant but......






 

16 comments:

  1. The mass effect of 3mm definitely works well for DBA. Nice éléphants too. Is one of them Nelly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably is JBM :) Agree re 3mm for DBA, I'm actually the same armies in 15mm but this scale works so much better.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the replacement spears on the Hoplites. But those little elephants - awesome just about 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed painting the elephants Graham and could not resist using all 20 of them!

      Delete
  3. Are those black-primed Republican Romans really Essex 15mm? They look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, the quality of the Essex sculpts/castings has surprised me they are really crisp and detailed, only thing I don't like are the bendy pikes but easily replaced.

      Delete
  4. 20 nellies excellent - bendy spears boo-hiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bendy spears have now become extremely sharp ones!

      Delete
  5. Those Carthaginians are looking great Lee. Yes, I’d certainly be skipping outta the way of those ellies. Still, the Romans are well organised (albeit their command isn’t up to the same standard as Hannibal) and, much like the Soviets in WW2, they do have the ability to keep churning out fresh troops to replace any losses.
    Your handiwork on the hoplite spears is impressive. Have you seen the Tin Soldier hoplites at all? As unpainted lead they might look a tad cartoony - but, when painted, they look absolutely great. They may have cast-on spears, but it is fairly short and in a sensible position to safeguard against accidental bending.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, much happier with the hoplites now and have enough to do a full army, not sure if I will though as I have two bugs of 3mm hoplites and they are superb :) I'll take a look at Tin Soldier but I('m being incresaingly drawn toward 3mm now!
      Cheers
      Lee.

      Delete
  6. The elephants are pretty awesome. Fab work Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently the only thing elephants don't like is mice - a base of 3mm mice would be a challenge even to your painting skills! This is all great work Lee...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Massed elephants are a great idea and look great along with your other big bases of 3 mm figs. The hoplites have some serious 'pointed sticks' now. The few minor injuries that they cause to the wargamer adds to the realism!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. Those spears are certainly sharp! Already stabbed myself a couple of times.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.