Sunday 4 December 2022

Epic Dutch lancers & Prussian artillery, more ACW's and a chariot!

Painting production was a little slower this week due to a sprained right wrist that was quite painful for a couple of days, however I soldiered on with it strapped up and managed to knock out a reasonable amount of painting, the Dutch Lancers and 2 batteries of Prussian artillery for Tony2 and 100 Epic Rebs for Noel. I'm really pleased with the Lancers and these will be joining the Polish Lancers, Empress Dragoons, Horse Grenadiers and Chasseurs that are already painted. I will get a few group photos as soon as I finish the basing on them all, no doubt the 100 strong Imperial Guard cavalry will look a most imposing group together.

A note to the Eagle eyed among you, yes I missed the trouser stripe and this has been corrected :)







Below: and onto to more Epic Rebs! To be honest I LOVE painting Epic Rebs and now have a reliable method for painting the strips at speed which produces really pleasing results. These are for Noel, aWarlord brigade box of 3 x 100 figure regiments, a battery of 3 guns and 3 mounted officers.



I  also painted my first scythed chariot, a most vicious instrument of War pulled by four greys. Possibly I should have saved the Greys for the generals light two horse chariot but it's done now! Looking at it I must admit it's a little bright overall but I did copy it from Googled reference images so think it's OK. I also managed the first 8 spearmen so 3 elements towards the Later Achaemenid army (#33). I have the elephant and another pack of Companion cavalry of order from Essex along with some more shield transfers from Veni Vidi Veci and LittleBigMan studios, the latter being in glorious full colour. Plan is to replace the current Phalangite shields as they look a bit flat. Meantime I'm watching a lot of good DBA videos as recommended by Geoff and it's really inspiring stuff. I think the combination of a small playing area (my trusty old folding card table), simple rules, the ability to paint and collect many different armies and battles that average 45 minutes will sit very nicely with my current situation. I may have to invest in DBA Version 3 at some point but have V2 on order, picked up secondhand. 



The run up to Christmas will see the completion of Noel's Reb brigade box this week followed by more lovely Peter Pig ECW's for Graham (the war has now moved North of the Border) and the December batch of 300 more Epic Rebs for Chris in NZ so fairly busy. New Year will start with a return to Epic Prussians and I have a box in hand for good Old John which I think contains more Winged Hussars, I dread to think how many of these John has in his vast collection.


11 comments:

  1. The Epic are looking grand. There is a lot of variety now amongst available sprues and it is that time of year again when Warlord Games ‘what’s next’.. The hot money seems to be on Rome / Carthage or ECW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm and thanks :) Much speculation around what's coming next for Epics, I have heard a lot of noise about 1812 Russians, in fact Tony2 has already got me down for what he calls Epic Borodino! Rome/Carthage would certainly work though. AWI would also work with the format and sell well I think?

      Delete
  2. Some wonderfully painted units there, the chariot looks such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. The chariot was great fun to paint but I would not like to be standing in front of it at speed!

      Delete
  3. Sprained wrist eh?! Repetitive strain injury from too much ruddy painting I reckon. Jolly nice chariot by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mate, hope you are continuing to settle in there. Sprained wrist, not much sympathy here, I won't say what my charming wife suggested could be the cause!
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
  4. can guess what charming wife said:)) great looking Epics and chariots, well done mate, back in the day i painted a few chariots by Airfix & Atlantic, as to Winged Hussars when done i will have about 150 plus!!!!, just rec'd new Strelets Cuirassiers for WSS the Austrian mounted drummer is a brilliant sculpt, will send sometime in New Year, take care mate
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, 150 Winged Hussars? That's a fair number :) Must look seriously impressive on the table.
      Look after yourself and regards to Cynthia
      Lee.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Lee, very nice indeed. The scythed chariot is totally impressive 👏👏
    One minor thing - the spearmen look like (early) Achaemenid “Immortals” whereas for the Later Achaemenids you really want “kardakes” or “takabara” spears. And they look quite different indeed. Sorry… 🙁🙁☹️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Geoff and thanks for following the blog. I must admit that when I purchased the Essex DBA army I was a bit confused when I opened it as to what was what! Looking at the V1 list I could not figure out what the 'Immortals' where supposed to be. All the other figures seem to be the later style, still I thought it must be right as they in there :( Might have to run the army by you Geoff if you would not mind helping me out please? Great to paint but I dont think I needed them?
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
    2. That’s fine Lee. No worries.
      I’m no expert but ancients are more “my thing” than, say, Napoleonics (I wouldn’t have a clue about what colour turn-backs the £&-th Regiment of Foot had in 1809).
      The publications of Wargames Research Group are a decent starting point - “Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars” in this particular case.
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.