Friday 18 November 2022

Trying a different basing style!

I noted as I looked around at images of ancient wargame armies that many had bases far lighter than my usual style so for my DBN armies I wanted to try something a bit different. So I went back to good old filler powder! The dry filler was then painted with watered down Vallejo Flat Earth and then some trusty Japanese Uniform ( a must have shade that I use on a daily basis, perfect for a highlight mix into Flat Brown on horses etc), was blended in wet on wet. Very happy with that result but next I wanted to add some patchy grass areas. Traditionally I have always used static grass for this but decided to try a touch of Javis flock for a change and I'm really pleased with the overall clean and simple look. I might touch in a few grey stones on the rougher areas but will resist the urge to use tufts.

With 6 elements done I can turn my attention to the 24 Phalangites which comprise the bulk of the army. really liking the old Essex Miniatures again, some fine facial detail and very clean crisp castings. Service is second to none, I ordered the follow up Persian army on Wednesday, shipping confirmed Thursday with RM delivery confirmed for today, pretty hard to beat I'd say. I'll be using shield transfers from Essex on the shields, lifes too short for painting shield designs! The Persians look great and I will get to paint a couple of chariots.

I can see myself adding a different army each month as a nice little side project and while I'm not getting myself too excited about the gaming side I do see this as being perfect for my wooden card table painted and finished to match the basing, there is something about the sound of a dice rolling on wood that is very nostalgic in these days of fleece mats. 

New basing, so far in DBA terms, 1 x 3 Kn (with General), 1 x 3 cav. (Companions), 1 x2  light horse 2 x 2 Psiloi (archers) 1 x 4 Auxilia (peltasts) 1 x Art. (bolt thrower). Note: Base edges just need finishing.







Bit late to the painting desk this morning due to waiting for the plumber to have a look at the shower but time to crack on with the second battalion of WSS German boys for Tony having finished the first yesterday. Orange facings against blue coats (Dark Prussian dry brush followed by Flat Blue highlghts) is a pleasing combo. Next battalion has Red facings. Next week I'm back with Tony2 for 10 days of Epic Prussians, some line infantry and artillery plus the French Guard Dutch Lancers to complete the Guard cavalry.

Hesse- Kassel Infantry Regt. Stuckradt - a few heads of blonde hair for the German guys!




10 comments:

  1. The new look bases look very effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love an army where you can get a splash of purple - an expensive colour and often seen as ‘Royal’. This reminds me of the days when DBA first came out and collecting multiple armies was a thing ……. or dragging out the ‘old’ 25’s and giving them new life in DBA form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what is attracting me to DBA, as a painter the ability to do several armies all very different in composition and style Norm. I still have my copy of DBA Version 1 the old buff cover :)

      Delete
  3. Lee, like the new bases - very classical on what we sought to achieve all those years ago in the WRG championship days. A few more elements for the Macedonians and Persians so you can cover the options and you will be sorted.The WSS pieces are looking very nice, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham. I'm new to ancients aside from that huge 6mm commission years back so it's something fresh.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Lee - as usual. 👏👏👍
    Do you really need to “ finish the base edges”? To me they look fine as they are. If you are going to finish them then what colour? Same “earth” as the top of the bases? I know some people simply paint the edges black (or another dark colour - which has the advantage of also serving as a quick identifier to show which elements belong to “this” particular army).
    I only ask because once you’ve “made your decision” for your first DBA army then you’re pretty much obliged to carry on and do the same for your other DBA armies. And once you’ve finished the Macedonians and made a start on the late Achaemenid Persians you’ll need to start planning for Indians. And Thracians, naturally. And then various bits ‘n’ bobs to morph your Macedonians into the whole jumble of assorted successors…
    Luckily you paint like a dervish (if their frenzy involves a very steady hand for painting 😉) so I’m pretty sure you’ll be making even more progress soon.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geoff. The base edges are a bit untidy but not sure what to do with them yet, possibly black?

      I'm not sure that I bought the correct army to face the Achaemenid Persians but I can add different elements if required and of course I'm really keen to paint an elephant! Do you recommend the V3 rules? I'm going by my old V1 set so far.

      Delete
    2. Lee - V3 is the most current version, but I suppose it depends what version your opponents play/prefer. And if you’re intending playing solo then there’s no reason you can’t play whatever version you like. Checkout “Tony Aguilar Figure-actively Speaking” on YouTube as he has play throughs of lots and lots and lots of DBA games with many, many, many armies. Almost “toy soldier p0rn”… Good stuff. Plus you might even pick up a few tips - what to do and maybe even what not to do.
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete
    3. Thanks Geoff. Funny enough I watched one of his videos only yesterday, I find such videos make excellent painting background listening/watching. He was introducing a new player to DBA so it was very useful introduction. I'll try a few more!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.