Friday 2 September 2022

Commission catch up and Epic Foot Guards!

I got a little over enthusiastic about the Epics for a couple of posts there and neglected to mention commission work! I'm still painting epics for myself but at a much slower rate now. Still, I managed to add the Foot Guards this week, 3 bases representing the Brigade which I don't think looks too bad with 60 figures. I also gave the Carabiniers a repaint on the coats as the body of evidence does indeed now seem to point toward the white coats being worn at Waterloo. I'm looking into how best to represent some Nassau infantry next. 




Commission work.

I forgot to show the dismounted dragoons and villagers I sent to Graham earlier, but this week I have started on the latest box from John, 4 companies of Garde du Corps of the WSS using Strelets plastic figures on replacement metal horses which certainly helps to provide a better fit. First two companies are painted along with 4 mounted generals, one for each of the companies. Each company has a different saddle cloth and holster colour and individual holster designs but wear the same basic blue coat with red cuffs and breeches. Will be 48 mounted figures in all plus there are some other bits in the box! I also have 2mm Napoleonics on the go for Geoff.









9 comments:

  1. Very fancy. I suspect some folks will be well chuffed with that lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM. I gives me a lot of pleasure the feedback I get from customers. John and his Mrs both enjoy opening my figures and going through them, I get loads of supportive comments and it really helps to keep me going at this.

      Delete
  2. Busy, busy, busy :-) and a nice job on the Foot Guards, I dread all of that lace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm and yes, I'm keeping busy! As for that British lace I have a method now and have timed it out at 15 minutes to do the front of two 10 man strips (Coat lace and straps, shako cords and cuff lace) and another 15 to do the back (pack straps, greatcoat roll straps, bread bags etc). The strips actually make things easier as I just paint all the straps in one direction along the strip, turn the strip paint all in another direction etc. For the front lace there is sufficient 'lift' to be able to hit it with a drybrush (drawing the brush downwards only) to do a fairly clean job quite quickly, needs only a touch of pure white as a follow up to get what you see there. I'm now confident that I can paint two strips to the standard in around 1 hour 30 minutes, the white is by far the most time consuming. Going to work on this over the weekend and plan is to knock out 2 full 80 figure battalions next week that I will put up for sale at £65 each, flagged and based! No point just keep adding to my own really.
      Cheers Norm and I really appreciate your support for the blog.
      Lee.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lee, that is really good going, say 2 hours including basing. I reckon mine have been 3½ hours for a base of two strips all in, so clearly some room for improvement there :-)

      Delete
    3. I also find something interesting in the background helps concentration. I have been listening to the Waterloo Uncovered 'Lockdown lectures' this last week, fascinating stuff.
      Lee.

      Delete
  3. Yet again Lee, more well painted figures. Well done 👏👏
    I must admit I am rather fond of the Nassau troops (I have a few 15mm for the campaigns in Spain) so I look forward to seeing how you get on with yours.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Geoff. had a good look at the Nassau uniforms, French in style of course so probably a French sprue as the basis for them. I read yesterday that they began the day at waterloo wearing their white shako covers but were ordered to remove them as they started to draw a lot of French fire!

      Delete
  4. Great looking epic figures and dragoons, I'm working on sorting out some 1809 Nassau figures at the moment, nice sensible uniforms, with a bit of jazz for the elite!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.