Saturday 10 February 2018

800 Hinchliffes!

This is the result of a pretty intensive 8 months collecting and painting Hinchliffe English Civil War figures. The video is a bit shaky in places as I move the camera around and refocus, but please bear with it for the close ups. I doubt that I will add any more figures now so it seemed a good time to lay everything out together and to record them before re-boxing them up.

Thanks to all who have inspired and encouraged me through this project, it helped keep me going, and a special thanks to Rob who's idea of expanding the shot wings to 24 figures has made a huge difference to the visual impact of the foot regiments.



Started in May 2017 the project was intended to replace the collection I sold off in 1979/80 as a young printing apprentice living in a Blackheath bedsit and finding myself short on the rent. Those went to John Tunstill at his shop 'Soldiers' in Lambeth SE London a generous offer from the tall, well spoken proprietor whom I have described as having something of the Edward Fox abut him. It was ironically my first visit to John's shop whilst still at school and on a trip to the Imperial War Museum that I first encountered the wonderful world of model soldiers that has continued to fascinate me to this day, so I dedicate this collection to him.

I would have been about 15 when I first entered John Tunstill's shop and encountered case after case of painted wargame figures including the entire early Mini figs range. This was before John moved into traditional 54mm collectors figures from which he made his fortune!



18 comments:

  1. Nice story and a lovely picture of the shop. AS shops (of all types) close and business migrates to the internet, I am sure that we also increasingly lose the opportunity for those special moments when a youngster walks into a shop and a life long passion is born, whether that be soldiers, cameras or art material etc. Mr Tunstill certainly sounds quite the Gentleman. Lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, it's a shame that all of the old wargaming shops have long gone, there was nothing like looking through all the shelves of painted examples for inspiration. Essex Miniatures still retain a little shop unit within their industrial production unit and it's a gem of a place with every single code on display many painted.

      Delete
  2. A terrific collection, really enjoyed watching the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much John, aside from my Retriever making a lot of noise in the background it did not turn out too bad!

      Delete
  3. A great effort Lee and an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ian, and in a way what you did/do with your Hintons helped to inspire me to do it, the older figure ranges have a charm very much of their own.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely terrific, 'Lee. It's the collection I dreamed of when I was a lad. I remember John's shop too in the early 80s. Happy days.
    Best regards and best of luck in Spain
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt,I am very proud of them:) They are now having magnetic basing fitted for the journey to Spain, I will be driving them down, following my Son in law in the van while the rest of the family take the short flight to valencia.

      Delete
  5. Inspiring. I sold my beautiful Hinchliffe and Foremost ECW armies back in the late 1980's I still pine for them. Sadly I have never seen the figures again. Peter Gilder was a master of making action packed figures. Well done in your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robbie - I'm just glad that Ian Hinds has kept the range going and is still working through re moulding some lines.The ECW's are in great shape.

      Delete
  6. I remember to this day seeing the shop as we drove past it one day when I was about 11 or 12... so 45 odd years ago.. so wanted to visit.. congratulations and well done on the completed project.. you should justifiably be very proud of them, they are amazing.. I look forward to seeing them on a table top (in Spain?) :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - it's funny to think that experience of walking into John's shop 45 years ago (I was about 15) started a life long passion for model soldiers, and even though I have sold thousands of figures over the years I still don't see myself stopping painting them. I will have a dedicated hobby room in Spain and I intend to enjoy myself in there :)

      Delete
  7. An achievement indeed. A good reward for your efforts. Hinchliffe certainly had an acive style and a decent range too.
    I too used to go go up to Soldiers......always friendly and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. Hinchliffe retain that charm for me, there are some scale issues running through certain ranges but the overall style is still hard to beat.

      Delete
  8. This is a tremendous post and I enjoyed it immensely. I do gave such an affection for do any of the figures in the excellent Hinchcliffe range. Looking forward to seeing them on the table in some great AAR’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlo, I'm really glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.