Sunday, 13 September 2026

'This War without an Enemy' - Progress report.

 With the newly printed C&C mat now winging it's way from Spain thanks to FedEx and due for delivery on Wednesday I think it's time now to get a couple of small forces together in readiness for a first run through. What you see below is where I am so far and as said previously I'm very pleased how these little bases have turned out as I was never confident that it could be done I have to admit. I'm making labels for the underside of each base with a unit name and starting strength in blocks, type of unit etc. I need to print a nice set of command cards this week and order some plastic sleeves for them from Amazon. 

Terrain - I took the decision some time ago that any terrain must be suitable for the 60mm frontage single bases, so hexes will be ordered from Warbases and I'll be making hills by my usual MDF/5mm Foamboard sandwich method. I'll be using magnetic printing paper to create any roads and rivers to lay directly on the printed mat. Buildings are always an issue with hex terrain, especially where smaller hex grids are in use so I decided to downscale any buildings to 6mm in order to be able to fit them a round the unit bases, well out of scale I know with my 13.5mm figures but with a small 5mm base added at least a height of about 35mm can be achieved with a small footprint that I hope won't look too bad. It's a board game after all and such compromises are not uncommon. Buildings are on order from Steve at Battlescale wonderful English rural range of half timbered buildings. 

So here are the two small armies so far ready to do battle as I continue to add more. Hit markers will be 10mm MDF circles painted green with a small number painted on in white as per my usual method and simply placed on the unit base as required. 












4 comments:

  1. Lookin' stellar Lee, and who wouldn't enjoy sitting down board-side, readying themselves to command these stands forth into battle?!
    As far as game-useful, I can imagine you having lots of fun playing this creation as those opportunities arise.....that's the "secret" isn't it......have something that looks great, but can pop up onto the table with convenience, and offers clean gameplay at the same time........now entering The Sweet Spot. :)
    Dave S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Dave :) I'm very much looking forward to being able to play the first game shortly but still have a few bits to do.
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee
    Are you still painting the warlord epic range . Awi revolution?
    I bought some very neat units and would like to add to them.
    Kind regards
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, not at the moment although I did paint quite a number of the AWI units for the 45 Rebellion a couple of months or so back for a customer (photos are on the blog). I was due to paint the entire AWI box set for a US customer but he later cancelled. Always happy to paint individual units so please email me if you want further information etc? lgramson@yahoo.com
      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.