For many of my generation I'm sure the 1964 film ZULU would have been an inspiration, it certainly was for me. I had no idea that Warlord Games had plans to do the period in it's Epic range until just two days ago but here it is in all it's 13.5mm glory. They have clearly altered the usual close order strip format for this release and I think it works really well. Link below to the initial releases now on pre order. I doubt I will do this for myself but maybe a commission might come along in due course.
What do you think guys? These figures are very cost effective for large numbers.
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/black-powder-epic-battles-zulu

I know the period needs a skirmish / irregular look for the period, but in any case, these look better than the shoulder to shoulder ranked up strips, which I feel are quite restrictive and I hope we see more like this going forwards (though individuals are more hassle for you to paint to maintain a certain output). Apparently in the flesh these are crisply detailed.
ReplyDeleteHi Norm, yes I'm hearing great reports on the quality of these figures. I really like the way the Zulus base up.
DeleteLee.
I can't get past the cynicism of producing this range in 13.5 mm, but those who have purchased them seem to really like them and are not fussed about compatibility with any other ranges, so that's what counts, I guess.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Hi James, to be fair they do scale up well with genuine 15mm figures, it's the 18mm's that will not work. I have painted units with 15mm''s alongside, the likes of Peter Pig, Steel Fist, Essex etc are OK. I think the fact they are so inexpensive and quick to paint up is the main attraction.
DeleteCheers
Lee.
They look so tempting, just a shame they're actually a bit smaller than 15mm; i'd prefer them a bit larger (18-20mm). The mounted and dismounted figures for mounted units are also rather well done.
ReplyDeleteHi Rob, no doubting that the Epic ranges have improved as more are released. The scale is not for everyone I know but they have pulled a lot of new gamers into the historical side of the hobby I'm told. I still like the initial ACW release but no doubt that if produced now they would all have bayonets on those shouldered muskets.
DeleteCheers
Lee.